Dental implants and extraction question

Solutions
I think i'll look into removing this painful root canal tooth. My question is: When you have a tooth that has undergone a root canal (#12) in my case, would I need to be put fully under for the procedure? Also when I get the implant installed will I need to be put under? Lastly and sorry for all the questions but can the implant and extraction be done in the same sitting and is there a temp tooth or way to cover the missing area while waiting on the healing process?

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Putting you fully under is very risky. You may never wake up. If you need sedation, consider milder forms such as conscious sedation or IV sedation. There are different schools of thought for different scenarios on same day extraction and implant placement. Discuss all of these questions with an experienced restorative dentist as well as an experienced surgeon.

Vote:

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Very rare to put you under just for a single tooth. The relative risk is not worth it. Placing implants is less traumatic than an extraction, altho a light sedative might calm you a bit,

Vote:
Solutions
Thank you both Doctors for your reply. It is much appreciated. If one is relatively healthy with good bone and takes good care of their teeth any thoughts as to how long the implants can last? Again thank you for your time.

Vote:

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Implants, like real teeth, can last indefinitely if you're a bit lucky and do your best to maintain them. Nothing in life is guaranteed.

Vote:

Ask a Question