Dental Implant or Bridge?

I apologize in advance if I'm posting this under incorrect forum. Feel free to move the thread.

My question is as follows: I had a root canal procedure done on the 1st molar (#30) a month ago. Went to my general dentist to get a crown on it and he kind of refused to do it, saying that now he sees that tooth # 29 also needs a root canal. I went to the Endo that that did my initial root canal for a second opinion, and after looking at x-rays he said that tooth # 29 is healthy and there is no need to touch it. Apparently my general dentist wants me to get a root canal done on a tooth that doesn't bother me because 1st molar (#30) doesn't have enough tooth structure left for a crown. Have no idea why he didn't tell me that straight up. Now I'm not sure what to do. Implant procedure is pretty expensive. But than again I don't want to touch the tooth that doesn't bother me so that a dental bridge can be made. Are there any other alternatives? What would you recommend? Thanks!

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
I'd go to another dentist for an opinion.
  • I don't understand why your current dentist wants to do an RCT on a tooth the endo is happy about.
  • As for #30, the dentist should have assessed the strength of the tooth before sending you off for an RCT. Sometimes weak teeth can be saved with an RCT followed by posts and a big filling (composite or amalgam) if a crown won't work, but again, this is to be discussed before going to an endo.
  • Any Xrays to show us?

Vote:
I'd go to another dentist for an opinion.
  • I don't understand why your current dentist wants to do an RCT on a tooth the endo is happy about.
  • As for #30, the dentist should have assessed the strength of the tooth before sending you off for an RCT. Sometimes weak teeth can be saved with an RCT followed by posts and a big filling (composite or amalgam) if a crown won't work, but again, this is to be discussed before going to an endo.
  • Any Xrays to show us?

Thank you for a reply. To answer all 3 points:

1. My assumption is that he wants to do it because apparently after RCT there is not enough tooth structure left on tooth # 30 for a crown to attach to. I guess he wants to do a dental crown bridge. That's why he told me to get a RCT on tooth next to it (#29) that doesn't bother me at all. But again he did not tell me that there is not enough tooth structure left on (#30). He just sent me to my Endo for another RCT. Meanwhile Endo said that tooth is in good shape and no need for RCT. And he said that maybe he sent me to him for another RCT because not enough tooth structure left on tooth #30 and he want's to bridge it together for a stronger hold.

2. Yeah he did not do that. I showed him a printout of an X-ray and he said that he sees some dark spots on it (Cavity I guess?). He said it's a matter of time until you will need a RCT, and that I should do it now since I have insurance that will cover it. Than told to comeback and he will place crowns.

3. Not a great xray but do you think it's still possible to put a crown on tooth # 30 if he creates some sort of structure with composite or amalgam?

I'll get a better x-ray from my Endo to whom I went for 2nd opinion and post it on Tuesday.

Attachments

• download.png
    download.png
    774.6 KB · Views: 6
Last edited:

Vote:

Ask a Question