Dental implant, metal showing through porcelain on crown

Hi. My first post on here. Thanks in advance to anyone who can provide an answer.

I've have had a dental implant (premolar) done over a few months, finishing today with the fitting of the crown,

In grinding down the crown to get the bite right, my dentist has exposed the metal under the porcelain on the biting surface of the crown. He mentioned it while I was in the chair and said that it won't show. But it does show, it looks like a old metal filling, not what I expected from an expensive implant (this dentist is not by any means cheap and markets himself on quality)

My query though is this, does the exposed metal present a potential health issue to me or a structural integrity issue to the crown itself? I intend to ask him to put this right but don't know if it can be effectively repaired or if it will require a completely new crown. I have a follow up appointment in two weeks and will bring it up then.

Thanks again, in advance.

I'm a little late to this but that's definitely a big problem! You should NOT have a PFM crown that has metal exposed from your dentist adjusting the occlusion. He needs to send the crown back to the dental lab and have it remade. Not only can the crown now harbor infection but its also seriously harmful to your surrounding natural teeth.

Also PFM restorations are old news. Dental technology and materials are advancing and there are PLENTY of full ceramic restorations available that will look better aesthetically and won't leave an ugly dark rim from the metal.

Vote:
Solutions
Thanks for replies. The problem was resolved when the crown came off and I swallowed it. New one made free of charge and all good now.

Thanks again.
I'm glad you have it fixed for free, but you should get damages from the dentist for causing something potentially dangerous. You could have ended up choking from it.

Vote:

Ask a Question