Dental Hygienist stating I have gingivitis.

Hey guys I need your input, I'm a healthy 35 year old male with straight teeth no cavities until a few years ago got diagnosed with my first cavity with filling. I recently switched dentists and they did there set of xrays, what I was wondering is the dental hygienist, not the doctor did my exam if you want to call that and rated all my teeth with periodontal numbers stating all my molars in all quadrants were 5 and greater that I had gingivitis and needed a deep cleaning and with my insurance is going to cost me around $500. I never had an issue with my teeth, but what I want to know is it within a dental hygienist scope of practice to give periodontal numbers versus the DDS. The DDS came later and never said anything else about my periodontal numbers and they are now trying to schedule me for a deep cleaning. so again is it within a dental hygienist scope of practice to give periodontal numbers? or should I see another dentist.

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
What were your gum readings previously? You can get a second opinion. If the x-rays show full bone heights (no bone recession/loss), probing numbers should be low although x-rays are not 3 dimensional. In the US, hygienists are licensed and are allowed to document their readings. Some may be paid on production and may have incentive to over treat.

Vote:

Ask a Question