dental dam movement

Hello -

I recently had root canal treatment and, at one point, it seemed like the dental dam may have come up or come loose - I was able to taste sodium hypochlorite - the endodontist finished the procedure and acknowledged what I may have been tasting (very unpleasant!!) - is there any danger of bacteria in my tooth or would the doctor have re-sterilized it after re-positioning the dental dam? Thanks.

Zuri Barniv

Verified Dentist
I would not be worried about there being enough sodium hypochlorite in the tooth, but much more concerned about it being in my throat. Sodium hypochlorite is just household bleach and it can create a lot of damage to tissues if left in contact with them for extended periods of time. I assume you thoroughly rinsed out your mouth and you are symptom-free now?

Vote:
Thanks for responding, Dr. Barniv. I did rinse and don't believe I swallowed any of the liquid. I haven't had any symptoms at all. It was just very unpleasant at the time.

Vote:

Zuri Barniv

Verified Dentist
Then you are probably A-OK. And if it was an endodontist that did the work then you can rest assured they irrigated the root thoroughly with the hypochlorite after the rubber dam was adjusted.

Vote:
As detailed by Dr Barniv, I would not worry if there is no symptoms. Sodium hypochlorite - can cause significant damage to the soft tissue but that depends on many factors such as the concentration of Sodium hypochlorite; the temperature of Sodium hypochlorite, the amount leaked, the exposed area and the length of time. In general most of the dentists use diluted Sodium hypochlorite which won't cause significant damage or any damage at all.

The leak of Sodium hypochlorite is very common during root canal treatment even with the experience dentists. Once identified the area should be washed with plenty of water as mentioned above.

In regard to the contamination of your tooth with bacteria, I would not worry about that. The use of the rubber dam shows that your dentist is aware of that and he was doing his best to eliminate the bacteria. Re-irrigating the root after adjusting the rubber dam should be enough.

Vote:

Ask a Question