Dental Bonding Won't Stay!!

My 11 year old broke her two front teeth when she fell off her bike about a month ago. One tooth chipped and the other broke right in half. She hasn't had a lot of pain, just sensitive. The problem is, we are now heading to the dentist tomorrow for the fourth time to get the bonding done yet again! It keeps falling off within days. She has mentioned pins as a last resort. I am not to keen on that. Read it can cause more problems. My dentist said a crown or implant isn't an option where she is still growing. I am at a loss here. Do I keep going back every week or so? She has an overbite and will need braces eventually. She grinds at night, but all night guards are not recommended for children. I don't know if the grinding is really having an effect on her front tooth. Has anyone been through this type of thing, or have any info for me? I would truly appreciate it!!

It's unusual for the fillings to keep falling out. The dentist may be trying to be conservative with the prep by not removing additional tooth structure, but more retention may be needed. If the clinching and grinding is the culprit the dentist can make the fillings not touch the opposing teeth, but aesthetically (ideal appearance) it may not look natural to have shorter teeth.

Vote:
Frequently it is because of the relationship of the lower jaw to the upper jaw or what we call the bite. If excessive pressure is put while biting higher chances for the bonding to fall off. In such a case you will more than likely need a crown to re-build up the basic integrity of the tooth.

Vote:

Ask a Question