Dental Bonding & Braces Questions

Hi folks,

I've had a funny yellow color to my teeth since I can remember, and one tooth has a funny white square. They are also crooked but I never had the money for braces until after my late 30s (I'll come back to that).

A year or two back I asked my dentist about whitening, and they gave me the gel to keep in the fridge to whiten the teeth. I did this for a few weeks and it didn't seem to work, and my teeth got really sensitive. After that I stopped.

Someone on an online forum said there is something called dental bonding to make all the teeth look back to normal. Then they pointed to a bunch of photos of wealthy people and said that's what made their teeth a bright white.

I found a dentist who advertised dental bonding on their web page, but they said it's only for small parts of a single tooth. They said it's not for making all teeth white like I was describing.

Back to braces. I don't really see the point of doing the braces if the teeth will be yellow and have the funny white square. But if I could solve the discoloration problem then I would pay for the braces (or invisalign or whatever it's called).

Does anybody have any idea what I'm talking about re: making the teeth white with the dental bonding stuff? Or is it really only to make a small spot white? And if it is even a real thing, how do I find a local cosmetic dentist who would do that?

V/r,
Bryan

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
There are some cosmetic options that all have their disadvantages. All too often, people have unrealistic expectations on the results such as "photos of wealthy people." They don't understand costs (heavy labor and time consuming) and the possible trauma to the tooth (drilling). I prefer least traumatic and predictable results. The most conservative (less drilling) is to use professional whitening agents such as gels, etc. Their disadvantage is making your teeth and gums more sensitive due to chemical actions as you experienced. Also, whitening is only temporary and you will need to reapply as needed. 2nd option is bonding white fillings. The disadvantages of white fillings are they're plastic and can stain and leak. If you have small discolored spots or cavities, white fillings may give great results. 3rd option is veneers which are the wealthy people's choice. They are porcelain and look beautiful. However, they are very fragile and can fracture and fail. Wealthy people get them replaced numerous times at over $1500 or more each. The most durable option and the most aggressive are crowns. They require total drilling to the tooth which can traumatize the root canal nerve. If your front teeth are deteriorating, this will be the most predictable option.

Vote:
That all makes sense. I actually don't have any desire for "mega white" teeth, all I wanted was "more normal" looking. That's it.

I must have really misunderstood that guy. It's the internet after all. I don't want any drilling or any of that stuff, because the teeth are perfectly functional (they just look odd). I haven't even had a regular cavity in I guess about 10 years.

I thought the bonding was a paint-like substance that just turns hard, like ceramic coating for cars except a white color. But now you're making it sound like the bonding isn't even the white part, the whitish part would be the fake tooth on top.

So I think I'm back to my original choice which is just to not do anything. :)

I still have that bleach stuff in the fridge so I could always try again some day.

Thanks for your help.

V/r,
Bryan

Vote:

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
You may have to use whitening gels numerous times to get the desired results. If your teeth gets really sensitive, try Sensodyne toothpaste, MI Paste, or 5000 ppm fluoride (usually prescription).

Vote:

Ask a Question