Dental Anxiety

Hi everyone!

I need some help please. I have major dental anxiety. Even going for a cleaning makes me so nervous.

I get anxious just thinking about it, but then I get a physical anxiety. My stomach gets in knots and I'm so nauseous.

I wouldn't mind so much if it was just before the appointment, but I'll be sitting in the chair so nervous that I want to run.

In the last 2 weeks I've had to go to the dentist 3 times. The first time was a simple cleaning and exam. But during the appointment they found a cavity. The cavity was on my upper left molar in the very back.

So the second time I went in was to get the cavity filled. The dentist told me that I had very soft enamel on that molar and the same one on the right side of my mouth. So basically I have to be really careful from now on.

Nobody had ever told me this before. If I had know I probably could have prevented this.

So the third visit was because the molar that was filled has been killing me.

He told me that I need to have a root canal on that tooth. He gave me an antibiotic and some Hydrocodone to take.

I have an appointment with an Endodontist on Monday, June 10, but I'm a nervous wreck.

The office doesn't have the option of Nitrous Oxide, but they have an oral pill that I can take for the anxiety.

I considered it, but I have to go to work after the appointment and I don't want to be like totally out of it at work.

I'm really hoping to find some natural way to help with the anxiety. I try not to take to many prescriptions if I can help it.

I'm going to take a small, portable, CD player with headphones with me. Hopefully the doctor won't have a problem with that. I figure that will at least keep my mind busy.

I have Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder and the last time I had a root canal my brain wouldn't shut up. So hopefully he'll be ok with the music and it'll keep me distracted. I think I'm also going to take a stress ball with me to keep my hands from fidgeting.

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated. Please pray for me.

Thanks.

I just wanted to let you know, from my personal experience, that the oral sedation (pill form) works wonders. I too have anxiety when it comes to dental procedures. A couple months ago I had to get a root canal done so I decided to go to a dentist that does oral sedation. They gave me a pill when I got there (it was crushed up and I washed it down with water, didn't taste bad), and waited until it took effect. They ended up having to give me another pill because I was still alert and freaking out, but 5-10 minutes after I took the second pill I was OUT. I mean, you aren't asleep, but you don't remember crap about the procedure really. I remember a couple of moments, but had zero pain the entire time.

The only problem is you working. So that has to be a personal choice of yours. I honestly would have taken the day off and just went with the procedure while sedated. But if that is not an option for you then you either have to reschedule, or just do it. Root canals aren't as bad as many make them out to be from what I hear, but I wouldn't know as I've always been sedated for mine.

Vote:

Ask a Question