Day 3 Post Op - #31 extraction and graft

Hello!

On Monday (11/7) I got my #31 molar extracted and a bone graft by an oral surgeon. The surgeon used non-dissolvable stitches.

On Tuesday I woke up in a little bit of pain but was able to go to work and manage OK.

Tuesday night I woke up a couple of times in a bit of pain, took some meds, applied ice, and went back to sleep. I was largely OK Wednesday.

Wednesday night (last night) I woke up with pretty bad pain in the area. I took ibuprofen as well as Tylenol Codeine (first time I took it). The pain can be described as a gnawing/ raw type pain. I have been diligent with my diet, no slurping spitting or anything like that, chewing on the other side, and doing salt water rinses every 2-3 hours.

Now I would describe the discomfort as the stitches pulling and when I drink water it feels like there is a cut (because there is!).

Is this normal to be experiencing this 3 days post op?

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Good day

Although post-op pain is normal, the pain should gradually decrease in intensity. What you are describing, could be related to a possible dry socket. This is quite common with bottom molar extractions and usually occurs 3-5 days after an extraction. I would suggest going to see your surgeon for a follow-up visit.

Vote:

Ask a Question