Dangerous to wait for wisdom tooth removal? / Is it essential?

I am 59, wisdom teeth never have been removed or a problem. Upon cleaning this
week, hygienist discovered pus discharging from lower right rear wisdom tooth and brought
in Dentist - xray performed and looked ok but Dentist identifed it as infection said he didn't like this
pus emanating from the tooth area and advised removal of the wisdom tooth saying it could lead to
worse infection. There's zero pain, and only since this visit do I notice a definite foul breath odor
and obviously something 'not right' there. This is a general dentist and he's good but I don't know
about entrusting him to do the extraction... I decided to make an appt. with an oral surgeon who a
family member recommends. That appointment would be a month from now.
My Dentist could do something a couple of weeks sooner. Could this infection become 'systemic'
in the meantime.. Should I be "doing" anything about this or is there anything i can or should do in the meantime, to treat the problem? Is there a case for NOT removing the wisdom tooth in question and the infection possibly
being able to clear up without removal?

Also I work as a voice actor, so speaking is my livelihood and I worry about whatever complications might evolve from an extraction. I know of a performer whose tooth extraction led to Dystonia (permanent nerve damage) and was left unable to speak normally again. No doubt a horrible exception but just looking for any general/specific advice on any of this... Can this extraction change anything as far as articulation/speaking?

I am mainly worried about whether this should be done ASAP or is it ok to go with an infection like this for a month before (possible) removal of the tooth.

Thanks for reading all of this. I tend to be a hypochondriac so apologies if I sound a little over the top about this.

Mike

good idea to remove the wisdom tooth.
Risk as you say is that nerve damage can occur.

best to go with surgeon who (hopefully) does this on a regular basis.

are you on antibiotics?

has the hygienist caused the issue?

Vote:
good idea to remove the wisdom tooth.
Risk as you say is that nerve damage can occur.

best to go with surgeon who (hopefully) does this on a regular basis.

are you on antibiotics?

has the hygienist caused the issue?

This was never a problem, known or noticeable to me - literally until this cleaning.
In fact I wondered, could a hygienist have somehow irritated it and created the infection
in a single cleaning session? She asked me if I was tasting anything metallic or noticing
anything peculiar about this tooth about midway into this cleaning session... saying everytime
she probed the area she there was pus discharging, indicating an infection...

I said it was known that it could 'someday' be an issue but Dentist had never seen any
pressing need to do anything about it as presumably there was no infection... I'd never
noticed it being a problem.. Until after I left...and was tasting/sensing the odor of what she
described... and have since...(2 days ago now).

After the cleaning she said I was just within 5 years due for a new panoramic x ray. She
did that, said it looked very good. Then Dentist came in about the wisdom tooth and said
it should come out - as infection could spread. I wasn't put on any antibiotics... I called
back and they said as long as it's "draining" the body is 'kind of taking care of itself' and
that antibiotics in this state wouldn't really do anything...but if/when any pain erupted it
would indicate possible usefulness of antibiotic. Meantime I've scheduled removal of
the tooth but still wonder if this could simply clear up and not require removal?

Surgeon I chose is very experienced with wisdom tooth extraction... Is it possible the
infection could in fact go away in a matter of 3-4 weeks?? Is there anything I can do
to try to eliminate it naturally? THANKS!!!

Vote:

Ask a Question