Damaging my own teeth

I have had an obsessive compulsive problem in the past where I bit down on my chaw (like chewing gum without the gum). My wife or myself catch me doing it occassionally, as I do it subconsciously, but I don't do so often anymore.

Anyway, I had a big shock a week ago when I noticed I have chipped a back tooth, the bottom left and second from last (the cusp I think you call it). I didn't feel it happen and only noticed because I felt a jagged point with my tongue. I only ever felt an uncomfortable feeling 4 days later after playing around with it too much with my tongue and started to feel the "nerve" running down my chaw but that went away after around 12 hours. Now it feels normal again even when eating or drinking hot or cold liquids.

After doing some research I have learned that teeth can crack and chip over time and it has frightened me about my previous anxiety habit that probably lasted for around 4 years!! However, the tooth in question that cracked had an enormous filling that I remember the dentist almost wanted to pull out 10 years ago (It took me a long time to go to the dentist because I thought my pain was due to a gum problem as I couldn't feel any pain on my tooth, only the gum and was gargling down listeren all day, still should've gone though).

One question I have is could my past habit have caused fractures or kill nerves? I am going to the dentist to check the chipped tooth but what would you expect him to do? Can I check for fractures in my teeth? As I have already stated I have anxiety so am concerned about my teeth :) .

Yes, definitely. your past habit may weaken your teeth. It may also cause 'Attrition' which initially starts with hot and cold sensations. You must visit your dentist ASAP. Unfortunately, there is not way to stop such habits but consciously trying to avoid doing them.

Vote:
i also had a chipped tooth in the past. i thought it's just something that stuck on my tooth. after a while, i was able to get the chipped part. and after few months, i have to go to dentist because the chipped tooth is aching. there i discovered that i had tooth cavity. just sharing! :)))))

Vote:
My friend i believe it is important to get your problem sorted out as soon as possible, since any problem leads to many other unseen on mouth issues, It is due to your past habit, which has given rise too many tooth issues. Would suggest you to get in touch with a good dentist who can help you to ease your problem.

Vote:

Ask a Question