Cyst over back tooth in Maxilliary...very scared!!

I recently had a diagnosis of a cyst above a back tooth in the maxilliary area. There had been some swelling there for some time that my dentist failed to diagnose, although this swelling was painless after an initial bout of a couple of days pain.

Six months ago I started to use a salt water rinse and overnight the swelling 'burst' taking with it some bone and soft tissue. The soft tissue seemed to regenerate very quickly though and now the area feels normal apart from a foul tasting discharge every now and then.

The cyst was seen on a CT scan and I am due to have this removed. My concern though is that the cyst is cancerous, as my consultant said that it may or may not be, which has made me very worried. I have no other 'red flag' but wondered what the odds were?

Also on a side note, would this area ever be suitable for a dental implant or should I consider a denture?

Thanks for any help you can offer!"

Was the cyst hard or squishy? Asking out of concern for myself to as my maxillary area is inflamed and hard and hurts a lot.
The cyst was 'squishy', and painless for the most part after some initial pain which subsided after a couple of days.
I had an operation to remove the cyst about a month ago, also some surrounding bone was taken and two teeth (at the back so not noticeable except by me). Turns out it was benign, although there are many types of cyst and I don't know yet which this was. I had a GA and the worst part of that are the after effects of the operation....bad throat infection and now a GI infection from the antibiotics!!! The Cyst removal has healed quite well!
I wouldn't worry too much, if it is a cyst I now gather they are usually (if not all the time, frankly) benign lesions, and if caught early can by removed under local anaesthetic. I had mine for years, but no-one noticed until I had a CT.

Vote:

Ask a Question