Curious if removal is healing well (16 hour mark)

Yesterday around 11:30am CST I went in to get the top back right tooth pulled. Come 2:00pm or so I was leaving the office heading home. Since then I've slept probably 14 hours at least and have had only three pudding cups and about a bottle of water to drink during this time. While sleeping, I kept my head propped up on three/four pillows laying on my back with an ice pack on the side of my face (right) that the extraction was on. I've been taking the antibiotics and hydrocodone that were prescribed along with 12 hour sudafed to prevent any sinus issues.

I've also been keeping two gauze pads folded into a 1cm x 2cm x 2cm area in the extraction area as to soak up any bleeding and prevent me from sucking when my mouth is closed. I've tried keeping this out but as soon as I take it out my sub-conscious takes over and starts trying to suck in air through my closed mouth. The gauze is changed rather regularly (First due to bleeding, but now to keep it clean and drier as most bleeding has stopped).

When I remove the gauze pad and do the short sucking (because once I notice myself doing it I immediately stop) it feels that there's air coming through the extraction site. Is this normal?

In addition to the aforementioned food / drinks, I just had two more pudding cups as well as a half-bottle of water to take another dose of medicine. Eating and drinking this round was quite a bit easier.

The main concern I have though is if the extraction site is healing well so I took a picture at the 16 hour mark with my cameraphone in hopes to someone here may be able to help out.

Unfortunately I am unable to post images or links until I get 5 posts, so hopefully the moderators don't mind if I go around this rule...

http://tewan.info/images/.hidden/extraction.jpg

Ask a Question