CT scan for bone loss

Hello, I need answer for this question

When a tooth is affected by some bone loss at the root and needs root canal treatment, is ct scan absolutely needed, or if the patient asks it and doesn´t want ct, can periapical X rays and be used instead as alternative? Thank you

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Firstly, there must be clinical signs and symptoms to diagnose a tooth needing root canal treatment. Secondly, I've never used a CT scan. It can be very helpful for root canals to reveal 3-D anatomy that a 2-D periapical image cannot. CT scans are very expensive and if it is available, it can be very helpful.

Vote:
Thanks for your answer. Based on symptoms and a periapical X rays image, doctor says there is some bone loss under one tooth root and the root is affected, so endodontics is needed but says he would need a CT image. If patient refuse scan, would be enough, then, other low radiation procedures? Thank you very much.

Vote:
Could you provide the periapical image? What symptoms are you experiencing?
Hello. Sorry for my delay. I have had a great abcess. The tooth next to the one with endodontucs treatment had a raised sensation and a very slight movement when moved with fingers. This tooth had not had serious symptoms before: After root canal treatment were donde on next tooth, the tooth I am referring now begun to show some discomfort. Specially after eating, a slight raising sensation and very slight pain when the piece was laterally pressed with finger was felt. These sensations ended some time (1-3h) after eating. In the last months almost no pain nor discomfort was felt. Then I had the abscess. Currently there is no pain nor discomfort. Piece movement is near zero.

Vote:
Hello, I send the radiograph. I do not know why the image is inverted: The piece with endodontics should be at your right, and the other (the dental piece which shown raised sensation, pain, etc, at your left). I would like to know the possible solutions to this problem, and if only low radiation radiographs like this could be performed. Thank you.

Attachments

• Dental-x rays- image_.jpg
    Dental-x rays- image_.jpg
    117.4 KB · Views: 41

Vote:
Thanks for your answer. What about the adjacent tooth? Can you see bone loss?
IS there any possibility for root canal treatment tooth to be saved?
Do you think could help if I ask for a second opinion?

Thanks again.

Vote:

Ask a Question