Crowns past sell by date

Hi,

I am new. I am terrified of dental treatment following a bad experience with a dentist when I was a child. I am now 53 years of age and when I was 18 I had 4 crowns fitted following root canal treatment.

One of the crowns has fallen out several times and the dentist has 'glued' it back in. Last time I went he told me that the tooth to which it is attached is in such a bad state that if it comes out again I will have to have the tooth out.

About 2 months ago it came out and I have not dared go to the dentist as I am really scared of having the tooth out - not only that but today the crown next to it has come out too.

I am scared because I assume that as the teeth are in the gum that the dentist will have to cut my gum open to get the teeth out - and when I was a child I had a tooth out and the bleeding did not stop for hours - I ended up in hospital and had to have my mouth stitched. It was so traumatic that I had to stay off school for 2 weeks!

Can anyone tell me what will happen if I have the teeth removed?

Also, what will happen about the large gap in my mouth - they are the teeth to the left of the centre tooth - looks really bad as I am myself a professional person and the gap is obvious when I open my mouth!

What may happen if I don't have the teeth removed - I believe that the nerves have been removed so there should be no pain - but is there a risk of infection etc?

Lastly, if I have the teeth taken out - what can be done to fill the gap (bridge?).

I can't afford to spend lots of money on having implants etc.

Any help much appreciated.

Nigel

Ask a Question