Crowns and Rebuilding Enamel

Hi,

I have a root canal treated tooth on my molar (47). The root canal was completed in 2005. I had a temporary filling up until 2011, which was then patched up with a permanent filling. An orthodontic band was placed around the tooth in 2010, because my Orthodontist needed to move the tooth to complete my Ortho treatment.

In May 2013, I noticed a tiny hold in the tooth enamel, so I thought I’d get it checked out, turned out I needed the entire filling replaced. That was completed successfully; however my bite was "off" on one side after the filling. My bite was unstable to begin with, because my Ortho treatment didn't 100% fix my narrow upper jaw issue. Basically the new filling felt a bit high, and there was a lot of contact on my first molar (the molar next to the root canal tooth).

I went back to my original dentist and she filed the tooth down slightly, it didn't really help. I was persistent on that not a lot of tooth enamel to be removed, so it could've been that.

Following this, out of anxiety and frustration I went to another dentist and see what was happening (second opinion). She stated that I was biting hard on a few areas on the root canal tooth after doing a carbon paper test. She suggested filing down the tooth slightly. I was apprehensive, but I stupidly agreed to the filing. Now I think she's taken too much tooth enamel away - one of the cusps is almost no longer there (see photo).

I straight away went to my dentist and explained what happened - she was obviously upset I went somewhere else. However, she told me not to panic and to just try and get used to the new shaped tooth. So currently my bite has been relieved slightly, however because a lot tooth enamel was removed, the bight feels deeper than before, and the first molar is somewhat bothersome still. At some point in my life I may consider getting orthodontic work again to fix my bite (I'm not sure yet though).

What I’m asking now is:
1) Is there any way I can rebuild the enamel that was filed down? Such as using Tooth Mousse?
2) Should I eventually get a crown? That way I can get the normal tooth shape and cusp back?
3) If I get a crown, is it going to make my bite worse then it is now?
4) Should I just leave the Orthodontic band there forever and not worry about anything?

Your opinions and thoughts on what has happened are greatly appreciated. I'm very upset I had the root canal tooth filed down so much. I've attached photos to see what happened.

Attachments

• Photo 8-06-13 3 09 36 AM.jpg
    Photo 8-06-13 3 09 36 AM.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 1,503
  • P1040209.jpg
    P1040209.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 562

Ask a Question