Crown reuse....

My dentist put a metal & ceramic crown couple of years ago, without doing root canal on top back tooth. Now after severe pain in the same tooth he removed the cap to find decay in the tooth which has gone deep. Now he is in process of root canal & wants to use the same cap.

My question is it a good idea to reuse the same crown?????
An advice from a dentist is most welcome.

Please help.....

Solutions
I'm not a dentist but think of this logically re the mathematical dimensions. The preparation for your existing crown was made on a tooth that will be drilled and reshaped following a root treatment. How can it possible fit perfectly if it's put back on a different shaped/sized preparation? If you have a root treatment it's important that the tooth is sealed well by a perfectly fitted crown. Otherwise you just end up letting decay in leading to infection. It's cheaper to do what your dentist suggests but could lead to more problems. If there was decay after only two years it may be the crown didn't fit so well in the first place.

Vote:

Ask a Question