Crown Pain - What Are My Options ?

On the advice of friends I resisted having a crown for many years but finally a lower molar that had cracked progressively and which had been filled to the point of being about 40% amalgam cracked again and my dentist said "well it's time" so a crown was fitted about a month ago.

I went from a tooth that had zero pain to a tooth that is literally agony when I chew on it, every meal is painful and followed by about 2 hours of throbbing before the tooth calms down again. The dentist has made one adjustment when the permanent crown fell off, and it may still be a little "high" but if so not by much, at least not to the point where I would see some grinding down make a night and day type difference with the pain.

I didn't have a root canal, and none was recommended, but now I am looking at my options because I can't go on like this. The thought of a root canal fills me with dread, and the only other options I can think of are having another crown fitted, switching to a different material like gold, or just having it pulled.

Any advice appreciated, toothache is one of the worst types of pain.

Ask a Question