Crown gone very wrong...help!

On Thursday I went into my dentist for a broken tooth that supposedly just needed a crown. By the time I left they told me they opened the tooth to the nerve and i would now need a root canal I would have to get at another office. In the mean time they said they put medicine on the nerve to kill it and put a temporary crown on. 5 hours later the numbing meds wore off and I was in the most excruciating pain of my life. The work site looked healthy in my mouth but the pain was unimaginable. I called my dentist and they said there wasn't any reason this should be happening but that they would call in antibiotics and tylenol 3s anyways. They could try to get me back in next week. I just scheduled the root canal with a different office for this coming Wednesday instead. Fast forward to today, 48 hours after this mess began. The tissue around the site is now an open ulcer and the skin is coming off and the pain is really bad. I have pictures attached of the day of the procedure (with the black circle around the work site) and the picture of this morning shows the tissue damage that was not there until this morning. Can someone tell me what the heck is going on? Or if this is an emergent situation? My pain tolerance is very high but at this point I'm thinking maybe I'm allergic to something in the crown maybe? Someone please help!

Attachments

• 13673.jpeg
    13673.jpeg
    102.5 KB · Views: 424
  • 13894.jpeg
    13894.jpeg
    66.5 KB · Views: 375
Solutions
With an allergy you'd have whole-body symptoms. If it were me I'd see an emergency dentist, because you don't know what medicine they put on the nerve to kill it. Perhaps you could ask them what they have put on the tooth as it may be a clue as to why your gum is ulcerating. I didn't even know that dentists put stuff on a tooth to try to kill a nerve, but I'm sure one of the dentists will explain the logic.

Vote:
I hadn't ever heard of it being done before. I was told after the fact. And since when are temporary crowns porcelain? Pretty sure they put the permanent one they planned had made at the lab and charged me $1000 for. This whole thing is just suspicious and seems bizarre

Vote:
Solutions
Temp crowns aren't porcelain unless they put it on with temp cement. You don't have permanent crowns on before a root treatment is complete. You wouldn't make a permanent crown before the tooth is ready for it to be fitted. It doesn't sound normal and I'd see another dentist as soon as possible to assess the condition of the dental work.

Vote:

Ask a Question