Crown fell off, inflammation under

Solutions
Hello.
Last night my new crown fell out and I see the gum underneath it looks red and somewhat swollen. Here is the details:
in Ostober 2019 - tooth 19 began to hurt, I went to see the doc and was told that I need root canal + crown. While I was sorting out my insurance it all went back to normal and the tooth stopped hurting.
January 2020 - I got dental insurance and went to do the procedure, the tooth didn't bother me at all. At the first appointment, the doc did root canal, kept telling how roots are curved and twisted, after about 3 hours send me home with antibiotics, steroid and pain killers. Told me to be back in 2 weeks. At the second app, he said everything looks better, did a little work (some drilling, pulling... not sure what exactly, a couple of Xrays) Put on the temporary crown and send me home to wait for the permanent crown, 2 weeks later I got my crown on.
Everything was good till a month later when I noticed fool smell coming out every time I did water floss. I was waiting for my next cleaning app to check on the crown, which was scheduled for April.
But last night it fell off, and I see some swelling under it. The redness goes from the new tooth (19) to kind of under the tooth that was done about 10 years ago, and never bothered me.
MY QUESTION: Do I go back to the same dentist? Or should I go for a second opinion to the endodontist? I think if I go back to the same doc, he will try to fix it, and I'm not sure if it's a good idea.

Thank You! I will try to attach a photo of the tooth and the inflammation.
The first 2 photos are the current situation. and the last one was taken before anything was done.

Attachments

• IMG_20200327_002910.jpg
    IMG_20200327_002910.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 131
  • IMG_20200327_121517.jpg
    IMG_20200327_121517.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 151
  • IMG_20191010_140349.jpg
    IMG_20191010_140349.jpg
    192.3 KB · Views: 146
Last edited:

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Hard to tell. Looks like the preparation of the tooth for the crown has doubtful margins. I'd at least need a bitewing (perpendicular) Xray to give a better opinion.
Can't comment on the RCT as you have no post-op Xrays of the roots.
Go somewhere else for 2nd opinion, but get copies of Xrays before and after to take with you.

Vote:
Solutions
Hard to tell. Looks like the preparation of the tooth for the crown has doubtful margins. I'd at least need a bitewing (perpendicular) Xray to give a better opinion.
Can't comment on the RCT as you have no post-op Xrays of the roots.
Go somewhere else for 2nd opinion, but get copies of Xrays before and after to take with you.
Thank you.
I went back, and the dentist said the crown wasn't sitting close enough to the gym so the food was getting trapped. That caused an inflammation.

Vote:

Ask a Question