Crack felt with fingernail.

I have a couple of vertical lines that are in both upper molars. I don’t have any pain even when I eat, but the craze line, or crack, is big enough that I can feel it with my fingernail. I am concerned that they are there. It’s making me worried to damage them more. Just because I can feel them with my fingernail does that mean they are cracks, or can craze lines also be felt like this. Should I worry?

Solutions
See a dentist for reassurance if you are worried but it's pretty normal to have a few stable cracks in your teeth. The time to worry is when you get an electric shock pain when you eat.

Vote:
See a dentist for reassurance if you are worried but it's pretty normal to have a few stable cracks in your teeth. The time to worry is when you get an electric shock pain when you eat.
It is aching slightly, but then again, all my teeth seem to be, feels as if my jaw is tight somehow, and I haven’t been feeling too well for a few days, it’s all very strange. I’ve made an appointment for Monday, but have to admit, I’m a little worried about what they are going to say! Merry Xmas hey!

Vote:
Solutions
Sounds like you're clenching your jaw from worry. That can make your teeth crack eventually if you do it for a very long period of time, although you're most likely to crack a tooth from chomping on food that should not be chewed. For example I cracked a back tooth by crunching hard sweets. You might want to talk to your dentist about a nightguard and try to relax your jaw during the day. Keep it unclenched.

Vote:
Sounds like you're clenching your jaw from worry. That can make your teeth crack eventually if you do it for a very long period of time, although you're most likely to crack a tooth from chomping on food that should not be chewed. For example I cracked a back tooth by crunching hard sweets. You might want to talk to your dentist about a nightguard and try to relax your jaw during the day. Keep it unclenched.
That is exactly what I think I’m doing.
Vile photo alert. (My teeth really don’t look this yellow, I’m blaming the camera!) but if you look at the tooth in the middle, there is a crack, at the bad, and it looks like a tiny piece has already broken off. I’m so scared of doing anymore damage.

Attachments

• 8D0ABA1D-C0A0-40FB-91D7-FB4A9C8A8EB1.jpeg
    8D0ABA1D-C0A0-40FB-91D7-FB4A9C8A8EB1.jpeg
    162 KB · Views: 186

Vote:
Solutions
Everyone chips teeth a bit over time. If you are worried get a night guard custom made by your dentist. Most damage from grinding is done at night when we are not conscious of doing it.

Vote:
Everyone chips teeth a bit over time. If you are worried get a night guard custom made by your dentist. Most damage from grinding is done at night when we are not conscious of doing it.
I have bought one of them mould at home ones, and wore it last night, which felt a little odd, but it fit really well.
I’m just extremely confused about why bits are hurting, andwhat is causing it, even though none of it is really painful.
I’m eating really carefully, as I’m too worried about breaking more off. Seem to of got it in my head that teeth just break off all the time now.
I don’t know if these annoying niggles will go, or if I’ve damaged the teeth to a point where they will need attention. I can’t imagine a scenario where the pain goes on it’s own.

Vote:
Solutions
It's best to have a custom guard made by a dentist. Many dentists think this should be a hard guard, but I think a soft one is best if you are just wearing teeth. I say this because I once cracked a tooth with a hard guard (which resulted in an onlay). It's also really difficult for dentists to make a hard guard comfortable.

I'm not a dentist and you need to be seen by one to check but from what you say it's possible you chipped one tooth and your bite is trying to settle so that may be why you have some aches and pains.

I'd strongly suggest you see a dentist to make you a comfortable guard and put your mind at rest. It's really unlikely your teeth are damaged. It's easy to get anxious when something goes wrong with your teeth because it can make everything feel wrong. But it can help to see a professional to put your mind at rest.

Please let us know how you get on.

Vote:

Ask a Question