Could Jane Doe be my sister?

My sister disappeared in 1980 along with her boyfriend. In late 1980 were found a Jane and John Doe that fit all descriptions. Photos of my sister smiling are rare. I remember she had some issues with her teeth. I will post a picture of my sister at age 7/8 and a picture of Jane Doe's teeth. My question is: could my sister be showing her primary laterals but permanents be congenially missing, then as her permanent cuspids descend, loose her retained primary laterals and only then in her later teens develop a gap between her permanent incisors? Is this possible? I have other photos of sister as well as info on Jane Doe's dentals if anyone is interested in looking this over with me. Thank you.
image.jpg
image.jpg

image.jpg
"* Dentals: Available. Prim cuspid between 5, 6. Teeth 7, 10, 14 congenitally missing.
* DNA: Complete - Profile available at state lab."

Sister at age 13 years 10 months. Laterals appear to be missing. It was at not long after this age that I last physically saw my sister (though she was alive for about four more years) so I cannot verify such extreme gaps between her teeth. But I do remember vividly in the swimming pool her spraying me with water through her teeth...

Vote:

Zuri Barniv

Verified Dentist
There really is not enough info to go by because there are some gaps in your written history and in describing what each picture represents, But, yes, it is possible the permanent lateral incisors would be missing and permanent canines could take their place, but usually the canines look sharp and longer than either the lateral or central incisors. In other words, it would look quite different than the orange zoomed in picture and more like the cell phone image. But its unlikely it could look like orange pic and then a few years later like the cell phone pic with all the gaps. Not sure if that helps, but that's all I can say based on your info.
Dr. Barniv

Vote:
Thank you, Zuri.
The gapped-tooth picture is a mockup of a photo of Jane Doe's maxilla and mandible. Additional info on her:

"The Doe Network:
Hot Case 1278 http://www.doenetwork.org/hot/hotcase1278.html
NamUs UP Case 2517 https://identifyus.org/cases/2517

No Image Available

Unidentified White Female

* The victim was discovered on November 17, 1980 near Ludlow, San Bernardino County, California
* Estimated date of Death: 1-6 months prior
* Partial Skeleton

Vital Statistics

* Estimated age: 17 - 22 years old
* Approximate Height and Weight: 5' 5"; 115 lbs.
* Distinguishing Characteristics: Light red/brown/blonde hair. Pierced left ear.
* Jewelry: Yellow metal, 10-K, size 7 ring, with 7 glass stones, center glass stone missing.
* Dentals: Available. Prim cuspid between 5, 6. Teeth 7, 10, 14 congenitally missing.
* DNA: Complete - Profile available at state lab

Case History
The victim was located in the desert, about 5 miles east of Ludlow, California on November 17, 1980. She may possibly have been a nurse."

The only picture I have of my sister with semi clear smiling teeth showing was taken about 1969 when she was about 7. About ten or eleven years before she vanished and Jane Doe was discovered. I will now post the full family portrait only because my mother, brother and sister are all deceased and I, pictured at bottom at age 5/6 am authorizing it. What I'm trying to determine for starters is does the picture of my sisters teeth, in the opinion of an expert such as yourself, exclude a potential match or does the possibility remain that Jane Doe's teeth could be what my sisters teeth grew into ten years later?

image.jpg

Vote:

Zuri Barniv

Verified Dentist
In response to your private message, I was not able to open the attachment, but suffice it to say that between age 7 in 1969 and around age 17 when she vanished, the teeth change A LOT. Spaces could form or close, some teeth could stick out more and some less. Nothing much stays the same during those 10-11 years. The only indication you have that she was missing permanent incisors was the orange picture where they look short. But that can be explained easily without missing any permanent teeth. For example, that is the age they usually erupt and you may be simply seeing them mid-way through that eruption (thereby appearing short). So unfortunately, I don't think you have anything that points to Jane Doe as your sister using her teeth as a match, but it also does not rule Jane Doe out as your sister either. I just wouldn't hang much hope on it using the dental evidence alone.
Dr. Barniv

Vote:
I hope you are still active on this page. I came upon the missing of your sister while searching for a possible match for a Jane doe. I couldn’t find your sister in NamUs based on the info here, so that is why am sending you a message. I can send you the link if you want. Kind regards, Susanne
View attachment 708 "* Dentals: Available. Prim cuspid between 5, 6. Teeth 7, 10, 14 congenitally missing.
* DNA: Complete - Profile available at state lab."

Sister at age 13 years 10 months. Laterals appear to be missing. It was at not long after this age that I last physically saw my sister (though she was alive for about four more years) so I cannot verify such extreme gaps between her teeth. But I do remember vividly in the swimming pool her spraying me with water through her teeth...

Vote:

Ask a Question