Constant Pain Months After Internal Tooth Bleaching

Several months ago, I had internal tooth bleaching of a tooth that had had a prior root canal treatment, after it turned very dark. The general dentist used sodium perborate mixed with superoxal (35 percent hydrogen peroxide). The solution was removed after a week, but I have been in constant pain, sometimes with numbness or tingling, since the procedure.

Dental x-rays were normal, so an endodontist did not want to re-do the root canal treatment. No one can explain the constant pain. I've heard this internal bleaching procedure can chemically overwhelm a tooth and cause it to dissolve internally. How could that be detected, if not by x-rays? What should I do?

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
If you had a problem with the internal bleaching, it would appear on the outer root surface of the tooth, not internally. The tooth cannot dissolve internally. If the endodontist can't suggest a reason, then you've got a problem. Maybe seek another endodontist opinion.

Vote:
What would the outer root surface of the tooth show? (I have seen more than one endodontist but am open to seeing another one or a different specialty if that's suggested). Thank you.

Vote:
What would the outer root surface of the tooth show? (I have seen more than one endodontist but am open to seeing another one or a different specialty if that's suggested). Thank you.
Visit Endodontist/s in dental school faculty practice. There are mutiple Endodontists in dental school and it's a real team work environment there, they do most upto date research and evidence based treatment. If I were you, I would have gone to Dental School Endodontic department.

Vote:

Ask a Question