Considering a Frenectomy

Hey all,

I'm 24 and I'm partially tongue-tied. It doesn't really affect me much and I never seriously considered having surgery on it, but with my last visit to the dentist I was warned that my frenulum may be starting to pull my gums down, risking exposure of the roots of my bottom teeth and other issues. I looked into getting a frenectomy and soon learned my insurance would not cover it as it is considered cosmetic, and as a graduate student I cannot afford to pay out-of-pocket. My dentist back in Michigan said he would be willing to perform it on me and write it up as a filling...but I have some reservations. I've been going to this dentist all my life but he's admitted to me he has only done this procedure once and never on an adult. Also he would be doing it with a scalpel and not a laser. Does anyone have any advice on if I should go ahead with it or perhaps suck it up and find a more qualified oral surgeon to handle it? I've read a couple horror stories where a simple frenectomy has caused permanent pain in the tongue/gums and also cases where the healing process goes awry and the frenulum comes back more restrictive than before. Any/all feedback would be greatly appreciated.

This is a very simple procedure that takes 10 minutes or less, but i'm not sure that i'd want someone operating on me who has only done it once. You may want to wait until you can afford a more qualified dentist or oral surgeon. You may be able to appeal the insurance companies decision as well. This may require a letter from your surgeon. An electrosurgery unit is good for this procedure. It cuts and cauterizes the area at the same time which results in minimal to no bleeding.

Vote:
Thank you. As my dental insurance is only in Michigan (I live in Atlanta now) and I'm only in MI for two-three weeks out of the year, I'm going to ask my dentist if he thinks I can wait a year to have the surgery. If so, I'll see what I can do about the insurance and finding a more qualified physician.

Vote:
Waiting another year won't make a difference. Just remember that the actual procedure wont be as bad as it seems, so you don't have to be overly nervous. Best of luck to you.

Vote:

Ask a Question