Conflicting information from the dentists

Hello,

The first dentist that my mom went to told her that a Root Canal Treatment is not an option and that the tooth (#5) needs to be surgically extracted. She went to get a second opinion from another dentist and was told RCT is an option.

Here are her X-Rays:

Bitewings

Pano

Here is a picture of her chipped #5 tooth

IS RCT an option or not? If yes, would you recommend a RCT or extraction or other options? Also, please consider that my mom had radio-iodine treatment for thyroid cancer about 2.5 years ago, thus affecting her oral health.

Thanks.

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
I think surgical extraction is more predictable. I see a lot of structural damage and investing in root canal and crown has a high risk for failure. However, with her history of radio-iodine treatment, ask the oncologist if dental extraction is OK. There may be a risk for bone damage after surgical extraction due to compromised bone circulation (osteoradionecrosis of the jaw). If the risk is too high for surgical extraction, then do the root canal, cover the root and remove the crown for over-denture abutment.

Vote:

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Extraction. The radioactive iodine (RAI) treatment will not affect the risk of the extraction. In RAI, the thyroid attracts the radioactivity, not the jawbone.

Vote:

Ask a Question