Concerned about gum recession? *pic*

Good Afternoon,

I just wondered if someone could advise me as to what point to start worrying about gum recession, as I’ve become a little bit obsessed about it, and it’s becoming a real issue for me.

It’s the canine and first premolar (if I’ve got that right) that are really concerning me as I feel like the lower part of my tooth is exposed as touching it with my nail is very painful by the gum line. Is this normal?

If someone could advise me, it would be more appreciated than you know.

Thanks,

Phil

Attachments

• 1F6448BC-F3EB-499A-8953-416907BFB535.jpeg
    1F6448BC-F3EB-499A-8953-416907BFB535.jpeg
    54.8 KB · Views: 444
  • 86A23CFA-D4B2-43E7-A352-C90E5CEDC5DD.jpeg
    86A23CFA-D4B2-43E7-A352-C90E5CEDC5DD.jpeg
    209.6 KB · Views: 524
  • 85DEC8EC-FB0B-430A-90DD-F03F5A195A9B.jpeg
    85DEC8EC-FB0B-430A-90DD-F03F5A195A9B.jpeg
    72.1 KB · Views: 428

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
From the images, your gum line appears normal. I can't see if there are any abrasions from brushing too hard or abfractions from grinding/clenching. Going back, don't brush too hard and consider using custom bite guard to minimize damage from grinding/clenching.

Vote:
From the images, your gum line appears normal. I can't see if there are any abrasions from brushing too hard or abfractions from grinding/clenching. Going back, don't brush too hard and consider using custom bite guard to minimize damage from grinding/clenching.
Hi HonestDoc,

Thanks for your reply.

I basically had a bad experience having a filling at the dentist and then got home and started checking my teeth. I noticed small ‘dark triangles’ between the front 4 at the top, and my teeth have ached ever since. I’m not sure if I’m just overthinking it, or if some habit that I have adopted since I’ve started worrying is damaging them.

My teeth just don’t feel naturally OK anymore and I don’t trust them almost.

I have been brushing really carefully and gently and have bought a night guard, that I purposely stopped wearing for a couple of nights to see if that’s what was making them ache.

It’s a nightmare at the minute though. I’ve lost nearly 2 stone from not eating properly.

Any advice is most welcome.

Thanks again.

Phil

Vote:
I’ve struggled to get a picture of what I mean, so this is the best I’ve got.

There is just a tiny bit at the bottom of the tooth that if I touch with my nail, it gives a sharp pain. Doesn’t really bother me any other time, I just wondered if it’s something I should be concerned about.

Thanks again,

Phil

Attachments

• 613AA36E-C82C-4513-972E-C9891DBA8EE4.jpeg
    613AA36E-C82C-4513-972E-C9891DBA8EE4.jpeg
    58.4 KB · Views: 386

Vote:

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
The "tiny bit at the bottom of the tooth that if I touch with my nail, it gives a sharp pain" may be exposed root. I wouldn't worry about it. Just minimize trauma from brushing too hard and or clenching/grinding and it should not get worse.

Last edited:

Vote:
The "tiny bit at the bottom of the tooth that if I touch with my nail, it gives a sharp pain" may be exposed root. I wouldn't worry about it. Just minimize trauma from brushing too hard and or clenching/grinding and it should not get worse.
Is it normal to have that little bit exposed?

I’m not scraping around it or anything by the way, I just touched it once to see if it was something stuck under the gum.

Vote:
I’m also afraid I have a similar situation developing here, if you look at how pointy the gum is at the top.

Is gentle brushing and a nightguard about all I can do to halt it then?

Attachments

• 26383BAE-D089-4F22-AA61-5DBF0E96B99C.jpeg
    26383BAE-D089-4F22-AA61-5DBF0E96B99C.jpeg
    39.2 KB · Views: 408

Vote:

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Your gum recession so far is minimal. I do see some minimal root exposure. Only a thorough dentist will notice it. Your peers and acquaintances will never notice even when they look close up. The key is to not make it worse...you cannot reverse it. Most people rush to brush very hard. You CANNOT whiten your teeth significantly with toothbrushing...that is how gum damage can occur. Use the softest toothbrush you can find...I like Sunstar GUM toothbrushes with the compact head and super tip. You can also use Sonicare or Oral B electric brushes. Your soft bristles should look like new when you replace it every 3-4 months. If they are flattening at any time, you may be causing damage. I have way worse gum recession than you and all of my damage happened over 25 years ago before I went to Dental School. I wouldn't worry about your condition unless you have an Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. If so, get that managed professionally...it can wreck your life.

If you are experiencing a lot of stress, you may consider bite (night) guard. Custom ones are very expensive but they work really well. If you are unable to afford one, try Over the Counter guards and save until you can get a custom one.

Vote:
Your gum recession so far is minimal. I do see some minimal root exposure. Only a thorough dentist will notice it. Your peers and acquaintances will never notice even when they look close up. The key is to not make it worse...you cannot reverse it. Most people rush to brush very hard. You CANNOT whiten your teeth significantly with toothbrushing...that is how gum damage can occur. Use the softest toothbrush you can find...I like Sunstar GUM toothbrushes with the compact head and super tip. You can also use Sonicare or Oral B electric brushes. Your soft bristles should look like new when you replace it every 3-4 months. If they are flattening at any time, you may be causing damage. I have way worse gum recession than you and all of my damage happened over 25 years ago before I went to Dental School. I wouldn't worry about your condition unless you have an Obsessive Compulsive Disorder. If so, get that managed professionally...it can wreck your life.

If you are experiencing a lot of stress, you may consider bite (night) guard. Custom ones are very expensive but they work really well. If you are unable to afford one, try Over the Counter guards and save until you can get a custom one.
I struggle with anxiety anyway, and I had 2 fillings towards the end of last year.

The second one was a nightmare, it really didn’t go well and provoked huge anxiety in me, and was just a terrible experience all round.

Since then, I have been concerned with my teeth and I seem to be obsessing over them. They are just constantly hurting/aching somewhere. The worry seems to be now focussed on my gums. I can’t figure out what is actual pain and what is because I’m so worried. I’ve just bit in to a chocolate after dinner, and my front tooth hurt, it’s constantly one thing or another, and I’ve become so scared of damaging them further. I almost don’t trust my teeth, and I worry if my being over careful is damaging them. It’s a minefield for me at the moment.

I am brushing really gently and have bought a soft bristle head for my Oral B electric toothbrush, and have bought an OTC nightguard.

Your advice really is helpful though, as it stop me seeing things as a disaster.

Vote:
I’ve just been looking over my teeth, attempting to reassure myself, and just come across this one which looks a lot more sever? Is brushing and a nightguard really all that I can do?

Attachments

• 5276C74B-78DF-4B54-A1ED-11DC0AECB4D6.jpeg
    5276C74B-78DF-4B54-A1ED-11DC0AECB4D6.jpeg
    52.8 KB · Views: 400
  • C31CE6DA-B13C-4775-8C7B-FC181219A447.jpeg
    C31CE6DA-B13C-4775-8C7B-FC181219A447.jpeg
    52.8 KB · Views: 398

Vote:

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
That has slight recession. How do you want me to help you? I've given you a lot of information and that I have it worse than you. You need to control your OCD.

Vote:
That has slight recession. How do you want me to help you? I've given you a lot of information and that I have it worse than you. You need to control your OCD.
That’s all I wanted really, was for a dentist to see the worst of what have going on and to check that it’s not a big deal.
I know I am worrying far too much, but I needed to check really because I don’t know what I’m looking at.
Thanks for your time and help.

Vote:
There doesn't seem to be any gum recession but you can opt for a sensitive toothpaste and brush.
Hi,

I’ve actually faced my fears and been to the dentist this morning!

I had to go and get some reassurance to put my worrying to rest as it was fear of going that was making me worry I think. It was a full new patient examination, so pretty thorough. There was no major problems, a couple she wants to keep an eye on, that she took a couple of x-rays of which came out fine. I am having a nightguard made there next month. So all in all, very reassuring. I’m now going to make it a regular thing and handle my dental concerns like a normal person, instead of a mirror and google! Haha.

Thanks for all your time, I know it’s a pain, but you probably don’t realise how much rational advice helps anxious people like me, and how much we appreciate it!

Phil

Vote:

Ask a Question