Concern about wisdom tooth. Urgent, Please Advise

I've been experiencing swelling and pain in the back corner of my mouth (left side), near my last molar. Initially, I suspected I had bit the side of my cheek, yet the pain has not subsided after nearly a week and upon closer examination, I see that a wisdom tooth is coming in on that side. After doing a quick google search, I fear that I may have a partially "impacted tooth".

I've attached a few photos below, please lend any wisdom (no pun intended) you may have. Thanks!!!!!!!

The first image is of the right side of my mouth, where I'm having no issue, & the wisdom tooth is still below the gum. The following two are of the left side where I am experiencing pain and swelling.

9k=.jpg
2Q==.jpg
9k=-1.jpg

Zuri Barniv

Verified Dentist
You have what's called "operculitis" or "pericoronitis" which is when the top tooth bites on a sensitive fold of gum laying over the lower wisdom tooth. Sometimes, removing the top wisdom tooth is what solves the problem, but usually removing both top and bottom is the best choice. Otherwise, antiseptic rinses and antibiotics may clear it up. But even if it clears up, the problem may come back throughout your life until you remove the source of the problem.

Vote:

Ask a Question