Complaints Following Treatment of a Tooth with an Exposed Pulp

092111W

I had a cavity, initially described as :small”, excavated to have tooth decay removed. During the procedure, the tooth, one in the lower left quadrant of my mouth, bled from exposure of the pulp of the tooth. In a noble effort to save the tooth, the dentist made several attempts to stop the bleeding by applying a “cement”. The third application was successful. The cavity was then filled with some Biodentine, a calcium-base filling material that, according to the dentist, would help the tooth form new dentin.

Since the treatment, which was about two and a half weeks ago, I have not been feeling well at all. In fact, I have been feeling very ill.

During more or less the first week after the treatment, I salivated profusely non-stop and experienced a sensation like something cutting on the surface of the center of my right eye, blurriness of vision, shortness of breath, difficulty thinking, weakness, and pain in the elbows and knees. During the first few hours following the treatment only, I also experienced a cutting-sensation like the one I mentioned I did on the surface of my right eye in the vicinity of my heart, a sensation I had never experienced before.

Except for the pain in the knees and the weakness, all of the just mentioned symptoms cleared up or lessened within the first week after the aforementioned dental treatment. However, the pain in my knees has worsen. Also, I have been experiencing a tension over the entire left side of my face, a tension that is accentuated over the left side of my lower jaw, the side where the treated tooth is, and under the left eye. What has me especially concerned is a weakness of my heart muscle during the past four days.
At one point, at the start of the third day, I experienced a weakness of my heart so severe -- something I never before in my life experienced -- that I feared my heart was going to stop. It happened when at the end of the day (the morning of the third day), I first lay in bed to go to sleep.

Later that day, suspecting that these symptoms just mentioned and others were possibly due to an infection of the tooth the pulp of which had become exposed and/or of some supporting bone tissue, I returned to my dentist’s office to ask her to extract the tooth. According to the dentist, an x-ray taken then of the tooth showed that “the tooth is healing” and two other x-rays of different teeth, one of which was in the upper right quadrant of my mouth, where I had been feeling pain, showed no infection.

Also, with the end of a dental explorer, the dentist also tapped on the tooth in question and on each of all of my other teeth. In no instance, did I feel any pain. The dentist pointed out that if any tooth had been infected, I would have jumped up in pain when the tooth was tapped with the end of the explorer. I was then told that I may have to wait as long as six months to know if the treatment will be successful. Initially, I was told in two months.

I asked why the facial tension felt over the left side of my face -- a tension that seems to irradiate from the left side of my lower jaw, the area in which the tooth that bled is, and that I began experiencing right after the tooth had been treated. The dentist answered that I had something else going on unrelated to the treatment or the present state of the tooth and that it was merely coincidental that the symptoms I described occurred right after the dental procedure done to try to save the tooth with the exposed pulp.

I think I have an excellent very knowledgeable and experienced dentist. Yet I am unable to believe that the aforementioned tension I have been experiencing over the left side of my face since the conclusion of my treatment of the tooth with the experimental filling and other symptoms that started around the same time are totally unrelated to the tooth I had treated and to the treatment of the tooth.

Having started the preceding, I now come to my questions:

Could the tooth in question still be infected and be causing symptoms like the ones I have been experiencing, particularly the facial tension on the same side of my head as the tooth treated, even though when I bite down on the tooth when I am eating I feel no pain or discomfort to speak of? Could it still be infected and doing harm to my body even when I don’t jump from my dental chair or experience any pain in the tooth when it’s tapped with the end of a dental explorer?

Might I be able to determine the status or state of the tooth by having it tested kinesiologically? Or having it tested by someone using Contact Reflect Analysis?

Is it possible that one or more of the symptoms I mentioned are a reaction to the filling material on the tooth, the Biodentine, which is a chemically cured filling material, not light cured? While Biodentine applied to a tooth takes time to set, chemicals or ingredients must leach out into the rest of the body (possibly explaining the increased salivation, likely a bodily response to detoxify or throw out those same chemicals because they have no place in a healthy body)? How dangerous are they? How might they affect the body?

Is it actually possible to save a tooth with an exposed nerve or pulp without resorting to doing a root canal?

Can having blood tests done be helpful to determine if there is possibly some dental infection present?

Any constructive replies will be appreciated.

Carlos Gavila at (e-mail address removed)

Last edited:

Ask a Question