Chipped and cracked tooth

Hi everyone, I would really appreciate a second opinion on the following:

I have a clear visible crack on the second premolar on the upper right jaw. I've been experiencing constant pain and discomfort, enough to keep me up for the last three nights in a row. For the last 3 days when I put any pressure on the tooth even very light pressure I feel intense pain, on a scale from 1 to 10 I would say a definite 10/10. However today the pain is less intense, I would say 7/10 when I put pressure on the tooth and just slight discomfort when no pressure is on the tooth, I feel like it is improving.

I am currently 33 years of age, no known medial issues in the past or present though my mother has Diabetes.

What would you recommend as the best course of action? I would like preventative measures to be taken ASAP on the crack to prevent it getting worse. Many thanks in advance!

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Good day
The most important factor is to determine how deep the crack goes. If the pain is subsiding, it might be a good sign, but it could also be a bad sign, since the nerve might actually be dying. In such a case, the pain will first go away, and then gradually come back as an abscess is formed.
The best option would be to go see a dentist. He will have to follow the crack and restore it with a normal filling if possible. If the crack extends into the nerve, a root canal is indicated. In severe cracks, the tooth will need to be extracted.

Vote:
Thank you so much for the advise. Very informative. Does the level of pain indicate the deepness of the crack? The pain was unbearable with even the slightest pressure on the tooth. Do the two xrays show if any of my teeth need a root canal? Is it possible to see this from just the X-rays alone? Would a filling help at all or will it just make the crack worse? Would you suggest a crown or just doing nothing for now? Really appreciate your response and also interested in other opinions!
Good day
The most important factor is to determine how deep the crack goes. If the pain is subsiding, it might be a good sign, but it could also be a bad sign, since the nerve might actually be dying. In such a case, the pain will first go away, and then gradually come back as an abscess is formed.
The best option would be to go see a dentist. He will have to follow the crack and restore it with a normal filling if possible. If the crack extends into the nerve, a root canal is indicated. In severe cracks, the tooth will need to be extracted.

Vote:
Thank you so much for the advise. Very informative. Does the level of pain indicate the deepness of the crack? The pain was unbearable with even the slightest pressure on the tooth. Do the two xrays show if any of my teeth need a root canal? Is it possible to see this from just the X-rays alone? Would a filling help at all or will it just make the crack worse? Would you suggest a crown or just doing nothing for now? Really appreciate your response and also interested in other opinions!
Good day

Vote:

Ask a Question