Child's adult teeth never erupting??

Hello everyone! I'm new here so I hope my post is ok, and not something already covered extensively! I'm wondering about my 7 yr old sons adult teeth. My son plays rough & unfortunately he injured his 2 front teeth& the dentist said we needed to pull them (I think to not negatively affect his adult teeth? Can't remember for sure) - he was only 3 at the time! The dentist told us his adult teeth look fine and they can already see them, theyll be coming in. Well that was years ago, now he's 7 (8 in October!) and STILL NO SIGN OF the 2 front teeth! (On top)...i think of cute 5 year olds in kindergarten singing "all I want for Christmas is my 2 front teeth!"... At 7 though?! That doesn't seem right to me and I'm increasingly worried. He's already given up hope that he will ever have anything there by now, it's so sad. With how many years going without them, I'm now worried about how it could negatively affect speech (his words tend to sound babyish), tongue position, tooth placement etc! Is this abnormal for his age, should I be worried?! Please let me know, thank you in advance!!

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Good day

I think it would be best to be a little more patient. The normal eruption age of your front incisors is between 7 and 8. If you are really worried, you can go take an x-ray at the dentist, to confirm the presence of the central incisors as well as how far they are from erupting.
Speech should not be affected that much at this stage.
With the loss of any baby tooth prior to its normal eruption time, there is a chance that the permanent incisors can come out rotated or slightly malpositioned. Orthodontic evaluation can then take place around 11, to determine if ortho is required.

Vote:
I started to erupt my first adult teeth at 40 years old. The first one was my center front tooth. I dont know what my dentist did to keep my baby teeth there or maybe they are implants but I am not sure maybe little both. So its possible he wont erupt them till late in age. Plus I think I have a thyroid problem that might have caused it. So you can get him checked out just in case if you want.

Vote:

Ask a Question