Cavity Filling Lead to extereme pain.

Hi - I am looking for some advice.

Two Weeks ago I want to my dentist for a filling. The filling was some what large on two surfaces (two teeth) near my gum line. After the filling I had a good deal of soreness/sensitivity which having a couple fillings before I thought was somewhat normal - but the sensitivity persisted. I went back to the dentist 8 days after the filling and he said he needed to make an "adjustment" and the pain should go away. He explained that sometimes if a filling is too big it will cause sensitivity and needs to be shaved down a little. He did this, there was a minor change in the pain level (maybe 20-30% less pain) but the pain still stayed. 7 Days later I went back again. He continued to adjust the filling shaving off more of the tooth, he took a good deal off and now the tooth with the filling feels pretty concave - as if a little of material was removed from the middle of the tooth - he said he wouldn't really want to remove anymore and that I should see if the pain goes back down before we trying anything else.

It is now 5 days after the 2nd adjustment and there is still pain. When he was doing the 2nd adjustment I noticed a very clear point of pain at one point on one of the teeth, it is a sharp pain at a very specific point. This is the area he said he needed to remove or bring down with the adjustment, but even with all the material he took out the pain is still there. To clarify the pain is not present at all times, but the tooth is so sensitive I'm eating with only the right side of my mouth, biting anything not super soft hurts and anything remotely cold touching the tooth is very painful.

My question is what should my next steps be - I'm worried about letting this dentist do more work (seems time for a 2nd opinion?) - and what might the cause of this be? Any recommendations on next steps would really helpful.

Ask a Question