cavities

I just got out of dentist office. The place was somewhat unprofessional, lots of young people coming in and out of the room while I had my teeth cleaned. They told me I had "a couple cavities" between teeth and before I knew it they were trying to sign me up to have them filled.

I got the impression that the cavities were small. Do I really need to get them filled or can I wait until I have insurance? I just felt like my money was really important to them, more important than giving me any specific info about the cavities even after I asked for specific info. The teeth dont hurt.

Do all cavities need to be filled? Or can they just stay as a cavity and be left alone with proper routine dental care.

Hi.

I'm sorry you're dealing with this. I know from experience cavities are no fun.

I agree with you that this office sounds very unprofessional. You should always be able to get more information about your condition whether it be a cavity or something else. I'm not sure if this is a dental low cost clinic or a private office that you went to, but often low cost clinics are like this. That's been my experience.

I'd call around to different offices to get pricing. I'm not sure how long it'll be until you get insurance.

Do not let the cavities go too long without treatment. My dentist explained it to me this way. A cavity is an active problem and if left alone it will worsen. If you don't have pain now and you leave it untreated, you'll likely have pain later.

I understand that cost can be difficult. In my experience the most a cavity filling has ever cost was $200 at a private office. This may vary depending on the area. You can also look into Care Credit. This is a credit card exclusively for healthcare. You can use it for doctors' visits, dental visits and pet health care.

Good luck.

JJ

Vote:

Ask a Question