Cavities in children?

Good morning. Last year, my kids' dentist found and filled 12 cavities between the two. Two boys, ages 3 and 6.

Is this abnormal and/or a sign of any neglect? I didn't have my first cavity until adulthood, so for my boys to have 6 each seems high. They don't stay with me primarily.

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Good day
Just because you had no cavities, does not mean your children won't have any cavities. This might be an indication that they are neglecting their brushing, or even that they are taking in too many sugary foods. I would emphasize regular 6 monthly check-ups with the dentist or oral hygienist, as well as check up on them that they are brushing twice a day, as they should be. Also check their sugar intake.
I would also emphasize this with the other parent where they are staying.
Baby teeth are important with regards to space maintenance as well as factors such as mastication and speech development.
They also have nerve tissue and neglect could cause pain or abscess formation.
Early loss of baby teeth also increases the risks for orthodontic treatment when they are older.

Vote:
Hey, I think this is because of the poor diet and oral hygiene that your children are maintaining. They won't pay any attention to these kinds of hygiene and control at this age, but as parents, we can do a lot for them. Ask them to brush their teeth twice a day and make sure they follow that. Children can't avoid sweets and sugar-containing foods, but we can reduce their consumption of these foods by including calcium-rich dairy products and fruits and vegetables that increase saliva, such as carrots and apples. It helps prevent bacterial growth at a rate that saves your child's teeth from cavities.

Vote:

Ask a Question