Candidate for Gum Graft Surgery?

Hi all.

I have a question for dentists and periodontists.

Let me include a bit of background here. In 2014 I had double jaw surgery for an overbite and crossbite on the upper jaw and severe underbite on the lower jaw. I had little to no chin before the surgery because the underbite was so bad.

Now I'm told by my dentist that I have gingivitis and begining signs of periodontal disease. I'm concerned because all of my gums hurt despite my efforts to do good oral hygiene. The biggest concern is my lower front gums especially around the 6 front lower teeth. The teeth appear long to me and some areas are white. It looks like there is very little gum tissue covering some of them. I'm guessing this is probably related to my jaw surgery.

I've included a couple of photos.

So here are my questions:

Am I a candidate for gum graft surgery?

Would the gum graft surgery help or take away the gum pain?

Does it look like the teeth have exposed roots due to thin gum tissue?

Can exposed roots cause pain and even root canal type symptoms?

20180327_155836.jpg 20180327_155933.jpg

Thank you.

JJ

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
The photos are indistinct. It looks like you have average gingivitis, which you should be able to get under control with regular 2x daily brushing, flossing, and use a chlorhexidine mouthwash nightly. Gum pain? Normally only happens in late stages of periodontitis, which does not appear likely from photos. Gum graft doesn't appear necessary unless you denude the roots. If you're really not sure about the gums, get referral to a periodontist for an opinion.

Vote:

Ask a Question