Can my retainer cause an impacted tooth?

Hi everybody.
I had braces for almost 3 years and got them off in March 2014. I have a clear retainer for my bottom teeth and a plastic/metal one for my top teeth and I've done pretty good with wearing them. I still don't fully have my 12 year (second) molars on top- there is really no reason for them being slow, I'm just a late bloomer. A year ago I got all 4 of my wisdom teeth out because my orthodontist/dentist didn't want his work messed up when they started growing in and he figured my 12 year molars would start moving in after the surgery. Which he was right, they've made more progress since the surgery.

The only problem is I think one of them is becoming impacted because of my retainer. I wear it pretty religiously and it doesn't really have an easy way in because of the metal bar that wraps around my first molar and I think it's starting to turn as it tries to find a way in. There's kind of an unpleasant smell around the gum and a flap of skin covering half the tooth. I honestly thought I'd have this problem with my wisdom teeth, not my teeth that are almost 8 years late, lol.

Should I stop wearing my retainer for awhile to let the teeth grow in? Or should I call up an orthodontist and tell them what's going on? That's another one of my issues, my orthodontist/dentist is a pediatric dentist and I'm 19 so they won't take me anymore I don't think.

Hi,
It wouldnt be good for you to stop wearing your retainer. I would advice speak to your orthodontist, if he cant assist you(due to your age) he will be able to recommend or refer you to a different orthodontist/dentist.

If you are going to see a different orthodontist/dentist remember to pick up your files/records from their offices, so that your new dentist can view your history and previous scans.

--
Thanks,
Dr. Jonathan Everett

Last edited by a moderator:

Vote:

Ask a Question