Can my new dentures be made into horseshoe dentures?

Several months ago I was having horrible headaches and my dentist said that my gums were infected and I also had some broken teeth and my gums were receding. I'm 61 years old and have never really had sufficient dental care. I ended up having all of my teeth pulled at the same time in the hospital. My dentist did what I'm sure are all the correct and usual ways to get me dentures, which were paid for by Medicaid. I've had a lot of problems with the dentures so I rarely wear them. Every time I try to eat they pop off, and I do use plenty of adhesive. I also hate the fact that the top one covers the entire top of my mouth. Is it possible to use the existing top to make it into a horseshoe denture? Is it possible to convert them into something that will screw into my mouth (top and bottom) so they will stay in correctly and only come out at night and to be cleaned? I really appreciate any advice and knowledge you may be able to give me. Things are pretty miserable at this point. Thank you so much.

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
If you had teeth pulled and dentures inserted at same time (" immediate" dentures), then over a few months your gums and bone will heal and shrink. Your dentures will become unstable and wobbly. It might now be time to get relines. If you change the top denture into a horseshoe shape, you'll lose any chance you have of suction.

Vote:
If you had teeth pulled and dentures inserted at same time (" immediate" dentures), then over a few months your gums and bone will heal and shrink. Your dentures will become unstable and wobbly. It might now be time to get relines. If you change the top denture into a horseshoe shape, you'll lose any chance you have of suction.
Thank you for answering my questions. I neglected to say that I had to wait 10 weeks after the surgery to start the procedures for getting my dentures. They weren't immediate. I don't know if that makes a difference to your answer.

Vote:

Ask a Question