Can braces fix my overbite ?

Can braces fix my overbite or the problem is mainly in my lower jaw and need surgical operation ? Im 20 years old and sucked my thumb as kid for a long time so probably this is one of the reasons for my overbite . I really hate my smile and facial profile and want to fix that problem . When I close my mouth upper teeth cover completely my lower teeth , but when I try to place my jaw like I have underbite , my face looks somehow normal like the last photo.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    92.5 KB · Views: 427
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 401
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 422
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 424
Solutions
Hi Peter, you are a nice looking guy with lovely healthy teeth. There are risks with orthodontic treatment (root resorption) and you will most likely have to wear a retainer for the rest of your life. I don't know why you hate your smile. It's possible you will be unhappy after treatment. People don't always look the way they expected.

Vote:
Before I got my braces, my top teeth bit down on the bottom forcing them move backwards. After getting my braces off this problem was fixed and it no longer happens. I would go see an orthodontists to get they're opinion but I'd imagine braces would be able to help you.

Vote:
Hi Peter. I’m an orthodontic treatment coordinator. Basically, your upper jaw grew downward and more forward than your lower jaw. While it’s true that surgery is the only thing that will correct THAT, orthodontists solve problems like yours every day with braces, and sometimes extractions. While root resorption can happen, it often never happens in the hands of capable orthodontists. I disagree with Busybee. In 30 years in the industry I have never had a patient regret getting a healthier bite they can be proud to smile about! Consequently, we see a lot of adults older than you with a host of dental problems from untreated overbites. You’re a young, attractive guy. Get the treatment and cross it off your list!

Vote:
Hi Peter, you are a nice looking guy with lovely healthy teeth. There are risks with orthodontic treatment (root resorption) and you will most likely have to wear a retainer for the rest of your life. I don't know why you hate your smile. It's possible you will be unhappy after treatment. People don't always look the way they expected.
No offense, but your advise is not correct. 100,000’s of patient’s have orthodontics in the US yearly with no root resorption. His overbite will be debilitating long term to his health. We see tons of older patients losing teeth from malocclusions.

Vote:

Ask a Question