Can an abcess heal or is an apicoectemy inevitable?

It has been recommended that I get an apicoectemy on my maxillary lateral incisor (#10). I have been experiencing some pain and gum in irritation but nothing severe. It is getting worse, however. One thing that I'm curious to get opinions on is whether an antibiotic such as amoxicillin could "treat" this and make the issue go away? Or, even if my current symptoms are resolved, will the symptoms keep reoccurring and possibly turn into something worse?

I'm just trying to determine whether this is something that I can live with or if it's something that I just need to address and be done with it.

Thanks!

Zuri Barniv

Verified Dentist
For any antibiotic to work, you need a blood supply to the area. The problem you have is coming from inside a dead root canal where there is no blood supply. The only cure is to remove the tooth or remove the infected tissue inside the root mechanically.

Vote:
Thanks, Dr. Barniv....that's what I figured - I went ahead with the procedure. Fingers crossed the tooth can be saved!

For any antibiotic to work, you need a blood supply to the area. The problem you have is coming from inside a dead root canal where there is no blood supply. The only cure is to remove the tooth or remove the infected tissue inside the root mechanically.

Vote:

Ask a Question