Can a water flosser damage gums

Solutions
I just bought a Waterpik water flosser and used it for the first time and my gums are really sore. I’m wondering if Waterpik’s can cause gum recession or other damage? I also used it on highest setting.

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Good day,

It is important to use a Waterpik water flosser according to the manufacturers' instructions. Do not use it on the highest setting to start with. Research also showed that people who weren't regular flossers to begin with, might experience pain when starting with the Waterpik water flosser. This usually subsides within 10-14 days as you continuously use the water flosser. Any bleeding, swelling or pain that persists hereafter, should be brought to the attention of your dentist.

Vote:
Solutions
Good day,

It is important to use a Waterpik water flosser according to the manufacturers' instructions. Do not use it on the highest setting to start with. Research also showed that people who weren't regular flossers to begin with, might experience pain when starting with the Waterpik water flosser. This usually subsides within 10-14 days as you continuously use the water flosser. Any bleeding, swelling or pain that persists hereafter, should be brought to the attention of your dentist.

Hi, thank you for your very helpful reply. I used the Waterpik on the higher setting could this have caused any damage to my gums or braces/retainers? Thank you.

Vote:

Ask a Question