Bump on my gum

Hi there,

I got 4 Root Canal Treatments done back in May 2021, one of the teeth took longer than expected to bed down but the treatment was a success and I'm enjoying my teeth, I didn't complete the treatment with four crowns though.

These last few days I just started to think about a bump on my gum, the bump is directly above a tooth that got an RCT done. This tooth gave the most pain and was the last to heal. The bump has been there a very long time, it used to be sore to touch until the RCT treatment, now it's painless but I think it is causing some kind of pressure. I think the bump was created when the canal of the tooth clogged up, like some kind of way to get around the blocked canal.

The bump is around the width of my finger which is 2cm, it feels solid to the touch but feels like sticks out quite a bit. I am wondering what is this bump and can/should I get it removed somehow?

I tried taking some pictures with my camera but lost them switching over to USB, I got one photo but it's not that clear, can you see the slightly orange lump in the picture? I could describe it better

IMG_20220328_083229.jpg

Vote:

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
It is a bit unclear on the picture. My main concern is that this might be a draining sinus of a possible peri-apical infection, which might indicate root canal failure. On the photo this does not appear to be the case. I would still just mention this to your dentist, during your next check-up, so that he can double check to make sure everything is normal

Vote:
oh I see, well the lump was there before the root canal but I think it's linked to the cause of the root canal somehow. I will mention it to the dentist next time but can a dentist remove something like this or would a doctor be required? it used to hurt before the root canal but is ok now, it feels like something kinda foreign though,

Vote:

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
There is a chance that is also just a bony protrusion, which does not require any intervention. But again, a clinical examination is required

Vote:

Ask a Question