Bummed over RCT should I give up on tooth?

Solutions
Help input or suggestions needed please. I had a root canal on a premolar back in September of last year. The tooth still was hurting so over the course of 2 months the tooth was retreated twice before the final restoration was placed in December. Pain still came so we treated the neighboring tooth as well.

Fast forward. One day I was hitting high on the crown and it was sore. Dentist adjusted crown and it helped. But recently it occurred again. Bite is off and tooth is sore. Nobody knows whats going on but I am being told by my dentist to hang on to the tooth if possible. I don't know how much longer I can live with it. The cone beam scans (2 of them) both looked perfect no infection or cysts visible. Endo as apprehensive about doing an apioectomy because scans looked good. Also the Endo did not see any cracks. As I sit here if I tap on it or push my tongue it's sore. What would cause this?

Last edited:

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
You could be grinding/clenching your teeth. Pick up an Over-the-counter night guard and consider custom bite guard if you notice improvement.

Vote:

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
I agree with Honestdoc. Try out a night guard. Are any of the other teeth also sensitive on that side or can you localize it to a specific tooth? For example only the tooth that was previously treated?

Vote:
Solutions
Dr. M and honestdoc thank you!

Dr M., the biting sensitivity is limited to just one tooth however the next door tooth also had a root canal. That one is sensitive to tapping on the side but not biting soreness. The sore one seems worse by the end of the day. Some days it's ok, others it clearly hurts.

Vote:

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Dr. M and honestdoc thank you!

Dr M., the biting sensitivity is limited to just one tooth however the next door tooth also had a root canal. That one is sensitive to tapping on the side but not biting soreness. The sore one seems worse by the end of the day. Some days it's ok, others it clearly hurts.

It seems to point to the problem of grinding/clenching. It can obviously cause trauma and damage to the teeth and also deteriorate the TMJ (like mine).

Vote:

Ask a Question