Bruxism Guard with Metal Posts Hitting Gum

Hi,

First post.

I have had a night guard for Bruxism for many years. My dentist created a new one with two metal posts part way along the outside of the night guard. When I put the guard on my upper teeth one of the pins hits my gum and it hurts. Not a lot, but enough that I do not use the night guard. Is this the way it is suppose to be?

The dentist did not really explain the purpose of the two metal posts and the guard is very uncomfortable. How or why do the metal posts help.

I have not used the night guard as it really is uncomfortable.

Advice appreciated.

Thanks,
Red John

A_s

Solutions
Hi,

First post.

I have had a night guard for Bruxism for many years. My dentist created a new one with two metal posts part way along the outside of the night guard. When I put the guard on my upper teeth one of the pins hits my gum and it hurts. Not a lot, but enough that I do not use the night guard. Is this the way it is suppose to be?

The dentist did not really explain the purpose of the two metal posts and the guard is very uncomfortable. How or why do the metal posts help.

I have not used the night guard as it really is uncomfortable.

Advice appreciated.

Thanks,
Red John

Can I please see the photo of your new night guard?
I am not sure about the metal post - maybe he wants to strengthen the night guard for you? You can ask him why?
But if you do break night guards, you can always make new ones.

Vote:

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
I'm guessing the metal posts have a small ball on the end? These are ball clasps to give a better grip for the night guard. Go back to the dentist and have them adjusted. Some nightguards don't need them at all, but there are occasions when they're useful adjuncts.

Vote:

Ask a Question