Brushing with gum recession

Hi everyone,

I hope you can help me.

I'm 23 and have very mild gum recession on my lower two front teeth. I used to smoke a lot, but stopped about 4 months ago now. I think this recession was caused by overbrushing - I was a bit heavy handed. I went to the dentist today, and he removed the layer of tartar that was pushing down my gums. Aside from this, my teeth were fine; I've got good oral hygiene aside from this issue. I've also never had any bleeding from the gums that were receding.

I'm wondering how to go forward with my tooth brushing, now? Twice a day with a soft bristle, from what I can tell...but with what actions? Up and down, circular, or flicking from the bottom of the tooth (by the gum) to the top?

I used to use circular motions, but way too aggressively.

I've read that electric toothbrushes shouldn't be used...I'm rather confused, so I'd really appreciate any advice! I don't want the recession to continue. I'm also assuming that I can't 'fix' the recession, but I'd like to prevent it from continuing, etc.

I'd really appreciate your advice! I don't want to hurt my gums when I brush my teeth before bed! They're a tad bit tender after the clean today.

Thanks!

Ramona,

smokers gums bleed less than non-smokers.

you stated in your note, "he removed the layer of tartar that was pushing down my gums", it is quite possible that your recession could be from the accumulation of the tartar rather than overbrushing or may have resulted from a combination of both factors. Sometimes the gums may "rebound" and the recession will be minimal.

Definitely use a soft bristle toothbrush, and if your manual dexterity is normal you can use a manual toothbrush.

electric toothbrushes are fine as long as you are not overly aggressive.

Research "Modified Bass Technique" for brushing.

Good job on quitting smoking, the tenderness should subside quickly after the cleaning (a day or two). maintain good oral hygiene (brushing and flossing) and now when your gums don't bleed it will be a good sign of healthy gums.

Vote:

Ask a Question