Brushing confusion

Solutions
I read online that you shouldn’t rinse after brushing only spit and follow up with a mouthwash, but when I look at the mouthwash instructions it says brush, rinse with water, and then use the mouthwash. Apparently by rinsing with water right after brushing I’m removing the toothpaste properties that are essential for my teeth.

What exactly is the correct way?

Dr M

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Good day

The main aim of toothpaste is to stay in contact with your teeth for about 5min in order to actually work the way it is intended to work. I advise my patients to spit, wait 5min and then rinse. Thereafter they can use the mouthwash. The mouthwash instructions doesn't specify how long you have to wait before rinsing. It only indicates the order.

Vote:
Good day

The main aim of toothpaste is to stay in contact with your teeth for about 5min in order to actually work the way it is intended to work. I advise my patients to spit, wait 5min and then rinse. Thereafter they can use the mouthwash. The mouthwash instructions doesn't specify how long you have to wait before rinsing. It only indicates the order.
Yes, I usually do that as well, the mouthwash can wash away the concentrated fluoride in the toothpaste.

Vote:
Good day

I also do the same. Is this the correct way?

Vote:

Ask a Question