Broken tooth....don't know which option to pick

Last week, I was eating some popcorn when the top of my back molar came off. It is about a medium sized piece and I can now see behind it, my wisdom teeth is growing horizontally, pushing against it and causing it to have decay and eventually break.

I went to the dentist today who has said I have two options. I can leave it or have it removed. She said a filling will not work on this space / area.

I don't know what to do as I do not want the tooth removed if I don't have to bit also very worried about it getting infected / lots of food gets stuck in it of I leave it. It doesn't hurt but she did say it has signs of decay.

Any help please

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
I would have to see Xrays of that tooth, the wisdom teeth, and of your lower teeth on same side. An OPG would be fine. Usually it is the wisdom tooth that is removed, and then the adjacent tooth would be repaired.

Vote:
Hi there, thank you for responding. I have asked for my x ray pictures so if they send them, I will attach them. She said the wisdom tooth is fine and as it is at a horizontal angle (it is growing sideways out the gum) it doesn't need to come out. It had however caused decay on the 2nd molar which has lost the back part of the tooth.

I am concerned about taking the tooth out as I have heard it can make the molar above it grow lower, teeth can move etc.
I am also concerned if I leave it though and it ends up getting infected.

Would the dentist offer leaving it is as an option if this could happen?

I am really stressed about what to do.
Many thanks

Vote:

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
So, the wisdom tooth has caused the decay, and is growing horizontally? That's 2 good reasons to extract it.

Vote:
She doesn't want to remove the wisdom tooth, she said she is going to leave that in. It's the 2nd molar which they are saying to remove.
Are you saying to also get the wisdom tooth removed ?
Thank you

Vote:

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
I don't have Xrays to see, but if it is lying horizontally, then it will never upright itself and will just be a nuisance.

Vote:

Ask a Question