Broken file tip in bone

Solutions
Hi all, I had root canal treatment 4 years ago on an upper right molar which seemed to go smoothly. I don't recall being told at the time that a dental file had broken. 2 years later I had the tooth removed as it had degenerated further. I now have a partial denture to cover this and the adjacent premolar which has already been removed. I have had discomfort and occasional pain over the right side of my face over the time since the root canal, had sinuses checked out and they are all clear.
I went to a new dentist who did a thorough check up; x-rays clearly show the tip of a dental file - a millimetre or less in length - retained in the bone where the root of the premolar would have been.
I have been referred to the Maxilliary Facial dept of my local NHS hospital although the dentist is not confident they will accept the referral.
Any advice welcome on whether this is something that must be removed or whether it is safe to leave in situ, in the context of the ongoing discomfort.

MattKW

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Extremely unlikely a small bit of file like that would cause symptoms. It would be helpful if you could take xrays from the time of the root canal to the hospital consultation.

Vote:
Solutions
Extremely unlikely a small bit of file like that would cause symptoms. It would be helpful if you could take xrays from the time of the root canal to the hospital consultation.
Thanks, I will chase up the xrays: I also had cat scan images done when my sinuses were investigated so will get a copy of those, too. If the file tip is not the cause of the discomfort I'm wondering what is, however.

Vote:

Ask a Question