Broken Crown Help!

DT1

Solutions
Dear Doctors:

I recently snapped off a crown at/near the gum line while chomping on a hard pretzel in a rush. Its unfortunate because I have had it for 14 years. My guess is some decay got in where the crown meets the tooth structure and it would have happened anyway. Have not seen any dentist yet due to COVID and logistics and it seems this doesn’t qualify as an emergency. It doesn’t seem to be visible unless I smile really wide but I’m still very worried for obvious reasons! No x-rays to share but do have some pics and can provide more if you need. I know it may be guesswork without actually looking in person and some x-rays but any feedback based on your experience would be helpful. I am very leery about implants as the thought of bolting a screw into my mouth is not something I envision. My hope is that the crown can be replaced.

Other data points: I don’t recall the exact procedure done 14 years ago but part of this tooth was chipped while chewing some gum, perhaps due to excessive force. I recall having to attend a wedding that same week, so I told my then dentist I need a fast fix. I’m not sure if it underwent a root canal but it must have. When I look inside the detached crown, I could see two metallic looking dots and I assume they are posts? Subsequent to this event I was very careful with the tooth and had cleanings 2x per year. Unfortunately, in the last year or so, I missed my cleanings and got lazy about hygiene. Hindsight is 20/20 I know. Feeling worried. Thanks in advance.

Attachments

• 20200615_173843 - Copy.jpg
    20200615_173843 - Copy.jpg
    124.1 KB · Views: 108
  • IMG-20200615-WA0002 - Copy.jpg
    IMG-20200615-WA0002 - Copy.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 120
  • IMG-20200615-WA0004 - Copy.jpg
    IMG-20200615-WA0004 - Copy.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 120

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Most likely the crown will not retain in what's left. I don't see swelling or infection for now. I suggest you still get seen. You don't have to get an implant. Implants are only elective. If you are fine with the gap there, great. The dentist will assess the conditions and most likely need to remove the rest of the tooth as it is a source for infection.

Vote:

DT1

Solutions
Most likely the crown will not retain in what's left. I don't see swelling or infection for now. I suggest you still get seen. You don't have to get an implant. Implants are only elective. If you are fine with the gap there, great. The dentist will assess the conditions and most likely need to remove the rest of the tooth as it is a source for infection.
Thank you doctor, for your honest and thoughtful feedback. Much appreciated.

PS in pic #3, is the black stuff some kind of bonding agent or is it a cavity?

Last edited:

Vote:

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Thank you doctor, for your honest and thoughtful feedback. Much appreciated.

PS in pic #3, is the black stuff some kind of bonding agent or is it a cavity?

That appears to be staining. If the stuff is soft under dental explorer, then it may be cavities.

Vote:

Ask a Question