Broken crown and exposed cement - how long before it erodes?

Hi All.

A lower front crown has broken and a the cement underneath is now exposed. I have covered it with temparin max but this usually lasts only a day or so. I will keep applying and try to make an appointment with my dentist on Monday but I don't know how long it will be considering the current COVID situation. The crown had been previously chipped and repaired twice.

My question is how long roughly will the cement last exposed to wear and tear before it starts to break away and the crown comes completely off? The crown is about 10 years old.

thanks

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Usually for front crowns, the dentist used bonded resin cements (about 10 yrs ago). These are the strongest class of cements. Your crown should hold up until your next visit. Tell your dentist that the crown broke numerous times and special attention may be needed. You and the dentist may consider zirconia for higher strength vs Emax for better esthetics. The higher strength material may be more difficult to blend to the adjacent teeth or crowns.

Vote:

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Thanks. That's a little relief for me. With Covid it may be months before I can get it replaced.

Without seeing your case and that you're not having pain, you should be fine. Many states and locales are opening up so hopefully you will be seen and get the new crown soon.

Vote:

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Do you have access to emergency dental services? If so, have the dentist evaluate the condition and assess any urgencies.

Vote:
Just as an update, the dentist has advised me to keep going as I am, cleaning and using temporary filling. They have no solid idea when i'll be able to get in for an assessment but possibly services could start again in July following Scotland's lead.

Vote:

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
The dentist needed to reduce aerosols (drilling on the crown to remove it from the tooth). Take an image of your broken crown and send it to your dentist or us to eval how urgent it is.

Vote:

Ask a Question