Braces, Porcelain Veneers...what do I need?

I have peg laterals and large gaps, along with some overbite. Many years ago it was recommended that I get braces to close the gaps as much as possible to prevent the need for making goofy looking large teeth to fill the gaps. Later another dentist said braces weren't necessary.

I'm looking for some general opinions based on the photos attached. Can porcelain veneers be used to reshape and fill the gaps or are braces needed? And if braces are recommended, could invisalign braces work or are traditional braces needed due to size of gaps?

I will be going into debt to get the dental work done, but at 47, I do not want to live with this smile any longer. So I want to be practical but I also want to know all my options for the best outcome. Bottom teeth are crooked in front with some gaps but don't bother me much as they rarely show when I talk or smile. However the positioning may be affecting my bite.

Attachments

• 103_0350.JPG
    103_0350.JPG
    71.6 KB · Views: 404
I think you have a cute smile though :)
You need to consider several things before you pick either options.
First, in terms of price, the porcelain veneers would be much more expensive than braces.
Second, in terms of efficacy, the porcelain veneers would be a much faster solution.
Note that you may need multiple veneers, that could cost a lot (at least for me). I wouldn't recommend invisalign braces because it is used to make minor changes to the teeth structure. I doubt that it would make any significant changes.

Vote:
Thank you so much for your reply, LisaP80. Your input is helpful....it sounds like invisalign braces would not be very helpful.
I know porcelain is costly but I love the results I've seen in other people.

Vote:

Ask a Question