Braces issues

Hi. I'm 36 and 11 weeks ago (just before shutdown in the UK) I had stainless braces fitted.

I had finished teeth whitening a month prior to fitment, and the orthodontist commented on the fact they looked 'nice and white'.

However, despite taking extremely good care of my teeth with the braces fitted, they're now discoloured to the point I'm extremely self-conscious about it. The discoloration is uniform across all my teeth to the point I'm questioning if I have an enamel issue and whether or not braces are even a good idea :/

Add in the fact it's been 11 weeks with no adjustment (dentists are allowed to reopen today in the UK) and no current appointment made to do so has left me extremely frustrated. I'm regretting not going the smile direct club route; I'd be half way through treatment now :/

I would really like to just have the braces taken off, and go the smile direct club route(maybe there is a second wave of Corona and further shutdowns) but if I do that, my teeth are liable to move before I get my retainers sent.

Can anyone offer any advice. I'm facing 45 weeks + of this. Absent the discoloration, it wouldn'te an issue, but as it is, I'm finding it tough.

Thanks in advance!

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Why can't you get any appointments when the office is reopened? Are you able to use the same whitening system as before? Can you provide images?

Vote:
The system I used before was retainer based. Emergency appointments are first, then cases such as mine. Capacity has been severely impacted as a result of Covid safety measures.

I'm now brushing 3x per day. Mouthwashing 4x per day and using a charcoal powder mouth rinse( 2 mins long) 2x per day. Seems to be helping somewhat.

I will post pics a little later.

Vote:

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Are you using Chlorhexidine rinse? It can discolor your teeth. Maybe you can use a general tray for whitening.

Vote:

honestdoc

Verified Dentist
Solutions
Do you consume anything that could discolor your teeth? Does any Over the Counter whitening products help? Could you reuse your previous whitening system?

Vote:
I'm very careful with my diet.

I take tumeric powder 3x per day. Buts that's in gelatin capsule form. That's the only thing in my diet I can think of that may stain. I Only drink water and am very careful with what I choose to eat (plenty of powdered oats and protein powder in shakes for me!).

I'm guessing I cant have some whitening retainers made which fit over my braces?

Thanks for the help so far

Vote:

Ask a Question